Thursday, July 26, 2012

Parent First, Friend Second

Dearest Liam,

I need to get better at writting to you here.  It's just that we have been enjoying summer so much, sometimes I forget to document it!

I want you to have fond memories of your childhood, I hope you look back on it and smile because I always played with you no matter what.  Even in the morning when I'm in my nice work clothes I get on the floor with you and enjoy whatever you are doing.  We wrestle, tickle, play blocks or cars, sometimes enjoy a book, whatever you would like in the few moments we get (before or after work).  I hope you never hope your childhood was any different than it was, I have loved you deeply every moment I've been given.  I cherish it all, even when you are grumpy! :)

My primary responsibility is to be your parent first.  I will discipline you, I will ground you, and at some point you will make choices that make me sad or disappoint me but I will always love you.  I will always be here for you, listen to you and support you.  I will speak the truth to you as sternly or delicately as I see fit for each situation.  I will make mistakes and disappoint you at some point, I hope I will have taught you enough grace to forgive me and continue to love me.  I hope someday we enjoy many hobbies together and at some point (maybe not until you are an adult) I hope you consider me your friend.

Love you to the moon and back,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment