Friday, August 26, 2011

Fear and Parenting Decisions

Liam,
If there is one thing (other than loving you without condition) that I can promise you it's this: I will not parent you out of fear.  What I mean is this, too many parents [in my opinion] make parenting decisions based on fear.  Such as; I'm afraid circumcise, not circumcise, vaccinate, not vaccinate.  Fear leads their decision making process.
I will not do that.  I will do my best to research and educate myself on topics on your behalf (until you are old enough to have input), I will put a lot of thought into these choices.  I will seek out opinions that I respect and trust and pray hard before doing what I think is in your best interest.
As much as I love your dad, this is responsibility that rests solely on my shoulders, at least for now.  Perhaps when you are older he'll be more active but for the most part it seems I lead the way. 
Which is why you were circumcised, and today you had your first round of vaccinations.  Neither appointment was easy, it's not fun to see you cry or be upset and scared but it's what we believe is best for you.
Love you Baby Boy,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment